Alternatives to Fast Fashion
Fast Fashion 101
- Designs are copied quickly
- Garments are made quickly
- Trends come and go quickly
- Garments are thrown away quickly
To learn more about the environmental cost of the fashion industry, click here.
Slow Fashion! What is it?
- Slowing down consumption: Buying less
- Upcycling and mending
- Rewearing garments: Timelessness over trends
- Intentional design & mindful manufacturing: Made with quality materials (e.g., linen) in small quantities
- Frequently made-to-order to cut down on wasteful production.
- Items are sold at (local) stores rather than huge chain enterprises.
- Per collection, fewer specific styles are released (twice/at max three times a year, or there is a permanent seasonless collection) (Conscious Life & Style). In contrast, fast fashion brands like Zara puts out 24 collections per year (Business Insider)
Illustration by Conscious Life & Style
What does a capsule wardrobe look like?
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of timeless pieces that you’d wear for years and which won’t go out of style. Capsule wardrobe pieces can be paired together with versatility to create different looks with a few pieces that suit your personal style and lifestyle.
- Start with what you already have! Do an audit of your current wardrobe and pair outfits.
- If you have clothes that you do not wear, choose to swap them with your family/ friends or repurpose.
- When making purchases choose to shop with a purpose. Invest in quality over quantity! (MasterClass)
Image source: OWNMUSE
Illustration by Fashion Revolution Canada